Healthy Grocery Shopping on a Budget
One of the #1 excuses I hear from people on eating healthy it is too expensive. I'm here to tell you that it is totally possible to grocery shop on a budget and have a cart full of healthy items! Here's a few tips that can help you -->
1. Prepare! This means doing your homework FIRST and planning your meals and snacks for the week. Take a look ahead at what events/activities you have going on for the week ahead, and plan for meals accordingly. This way you won't buy extra food that will spoil if you don't end up having time to prepare.
2. Go to the store with a LIST! This will help you not only save time, but will help your shopping trip to stay streamlined. It will also help you to say “no” to the temptations you may pass along the way. If it's not on your list, it doesn't go in your cart! This will help you pass up the "2 for 1" Oreos when you walk by them!
3. Shop the ads! I hate when people tell me they don't eat healthy because it costs too much! Look at the ads before you head to the store. A lot of grocery chains also have apps now where you can “clip” additional coupons and get some pretty great deals! Plan your meals around what proteins and what produce items are on sale for the week. Is there a killer deal on chicken breasts? Then plan on eating chicken this week. Is the salmon on sale? Go for that! Also, when it comes to produce, shop what is on special for the week. There is ALWAYS some kind of fruit on sale. Buy what's on special for the week and incorporate this fruit into your meals and snacks. Likewise, shop the veggies that are on sale and make your meals according to what is cheapest that week. Are the Brussels sprouts on sale? Then have them as a side to grilled chicken. Is there a good deal on stir fry veggies? Then pair them with some lean flank steak for dinner one night. Use the sales to drive your meal choices for the week!
4. Shop the perimeter! I know you've probably heard this before, but the perimeter of the store is where all the healthy and fresh food is. Fruits, veggies, chicken, meat, seafood, dairy...this is where the majority of the items in your cart should come from. Spend most of your time on the perimeter, and just mosey in and out of the aisles for the other healthy items that are on your list.
5. Try out online shopping! Most grocery stores now offer free online shopping where you can do all your shopping from HOME! This is a time saver (and sanity saver when you've got young kiddos in tow!). Plus, will also help you to avoid the temptations at the store. It's so much easier to avoid the cookie aisle on an app than it is when you are at the store (especially when said kids are shopping with you ;) ! ). Plus, a lot of stores have extra coupons when you purchase online!
There you have it! Some simple ways to shop for HEALTH and on BUDGET! Use these next time you go grocery shopping, and I bet you'll be surprised by how easy it can be!