Travel Nutrition Tips
Updated: Apr 6, 2021
There's nothing like going on a great vacation, only to come back bloated, sluggish, and up 5 or even 10 pounds. With summertime coming, I'm sure many of you have trips planned, and I am here to tell you that choosing healthy foods that will FUEL you while on vacation is not impossible. In fact, it's really pretty simple, and very doable! I love traveling and food is a big part of it for me. I love experiencing new dishes, trying out the "hot" local restaurants, and indulging in a treat now and then. At Fueled4Wellness, we teach what we preach.....and we teach you how to live life with good nutrition WITHOUT feeling deprived. And that includes vacation too! There is totally a doable way to go on vacation, eat new and local foods, satisfy your cravings, and come home without the scale going up. Here's a few tips we share with our clients. If you want to learn more, our Premium Nutrition Package includes a 20 minute video by our coaches that specifically dives into the topic of good nutrition while on vacation. Check it out!
1. Move every day! Just because you’re on vacation doesn’t mean you can’t move! I always pack some minibands and our trx strap to do a quick workout in our hotel room during nap time. Or— explore! Go for a run or take the whole family out for a walk.
2. Water water water!!! This is so important, especially when traveling. Make sure you bring a water bottle and bring it with you everywhere you go! Fill it up throughout the day and keep hydrated. This not only will help ward off unnecessary snacking, it will help you from coming back feeling bloated from water retention.
3. Pick one treat each day to spread out the "indulging" throughout your trip. Have a dessert one day, a special meal the next, and a cocktail the next. Just space them out and don't have ALL the treats EVERY day.
4. Make your daily “treat” something you can’t get at home. Maybe it’s a local brew, a piece of local key lime pie, ice cream from a local hot spot, donuts from a bakery you found on Pinterest, or a plate of pasta from a restaurant you've been dying to try.
5. Load up on veggies and lean protein on your meals. Build your meals around them while at restaurants.
6. Buy breakfast food from the grocery store or bring it with you. That way you can always start out the day on a good foot! (And save a little $ too!)
So, on your next vaca try these tips! You may find that it is easier than you thought to come back feeling refreshed and without the scale moving up. And you will likely feel much better with yourself upon returning. For more nutrition advice, reach out to us at Fueled4Wellness. We've got nutrition packages that provide practical tools and education that are sustainable lifelong. You will receive one-on-one support, nutrition coaching and accountability along the way to keep you on track. Our programs at Fueled4Wellness are NOT a quick fix. Instead, we will teach you to change your mindset for a lifelong fix!